Wednesday, September 06, 2006

We don't pay staff the National Minimum Wage (NMW)

HMRC recently published a top 10 of some of the more unusual or outlandish reasons given to its enforcement teams. 

The top ten worst excuses for not paying the minimum wage are: 

10. I only took him on as a favour 
9. The workers can't speak English 
8. He's over 65, so the national minimum wage doesn't apply 
7. She's on benefits - if you add those to her pay, it totals the NMW 
6. They can't cope on their own and it's more than they would get in their own country 
5. He's disabled 
4. I didn't think it applied to small employers 
3. I didn't think the workers were worth NMW 
2. But she only wanted £3 an hour 
1. He doesn't deserve it - he's a total waste of space

No comments:

Are some tax advisers paying more than they need to?

Some years ago on my first visit to Penrith, Cumbria, to present a talk to the local CIOT branch, I took a cab to the venue.  The driver ask...