Monday, March 08, 2010

Taxpayer received 90 incorrect demands for £100 penalty

Pity poor Trevor Bell. HMRC sent him 90 letters, each charging £100 penalty.

Trevor, who owns Trevor Bell Construction Limited, recently changed the name of his business and had notified HMRC of the changes.

But each letter stated that 31-year-old was in arrears with the company and that he had to pay the tax for the sub contractors he employed.

As soon as Trevor alerted HMRC, they admitted the mistake and they said they would put it right.

Three days later Trevor received the apology, those of us who are familiar with the dealings of HMRC, might have both feared and expected.

He received a further 90 letters, all stating that he owed nothing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I certainly am not surprised. I have two PAYE Coding Notices from HMRC for the year 2010-11. The first arrived saying:

"We turn £2910 into tax code 639T" so when I rang HMRC they told me their copy says £6390 not £2910. So I asked to them to reissue their copy for my file and the second copy arrived - Identical to the first.

Fortunately I can work it out - 639T is correct!

And then theres the 10 identiacl letters of the VAT authorisation code that one of my clients recently received of 3 days.

"Morton's Fork" - the rock and a hard place options for taxpayers

The expression "Morton's Fork" originates from a policy of tax collection. It was devised by John Morton, who was Lord Chancel...