Monday, August 23, 2010

Should tax advisers abide by a dress code?

A correspondent wrote to the FT's Dear Lucy's column in July about dress codes referencing a particularly 'tight dress' she had been advised not to wear.

In her reply, columnist Lucy Kellaway included this reference to female tax advisers:
"Depending on the country and line of business you are in, the dress may be OK – or not. It’s all pretty arbitrary. We tolerate less flesh from the person who is doing our tax returns than from the person who is cutting our hair. Stupid, really; but that’s the way it goes."
The picture I've attached to this piece is of Britt Savage from the Nashville band Twang Deluxe who shredded a pile of tax forms to make the dress you see her wearing!

1 comment:

Clare Evans said...

Some accountants suit a dress, some most definitely don't. Mark, I'd stick to the suit and tie if I were you.

On a more serious note. Dress code needs to be appropriate. I wouldn't expect my accountant to turn up in jeans and t-shirt but then I wouldn't be offended it he wasn't suited and booted.

Accountants have a bit of a reputation for being stuffy, men (mainly) in dark suits and ties. I'm meeting more and more women accountants and I think a more relaxed approach is fine - smart trousers and shirt. It's also about what you feel comfortable with and the type of image you want to portray and what is comfortable for your clients.

Are some tax advisers paying more than they need to?

Some years ago on my first visit to Penrith, Cumbria, to present a talk to the local CIOT branch, I took a cab to the venue.  The driver ask...